Situated in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, the PNE Enterprise team offer business support and guidance to aspiring entrepreneurs, start-ups and established businesses within the region, providing confidential advice, training courses and workshops, mentoring schemes, and access to funding advice. To date they have supported over 10,000 businesses to start-up.
Along with the delivery of private and publicly-funded support enterprise support programmes, the team deliver their own business growth programme, Get Growing, and a unique grant programme, the Sustainable Start-up Award; which rewards businesses making a positive social or environmental contribution.
In addition, the team also deliver targeted enterprise workshops to promote entrepreneurship as a viable employment option. These workshops are tailored to individuals with barriers or uncertainty surrounding employment or entrepreneurial aspiration to empower them to launch and manage their own enterprises.
In 2018, PNE Group won the Enterprise Team of the Year Award at the National Enterprise Network Awards.
Services PNE Enterprise provide:
- Business start-up support
- Business growth support
- Enterprise skills learning
- Entrepreneurial aspiration building activities
- Sustainable business learning
- Business development coaching and mentoring
- Access to finance
- Events for entrepreneurs, including the quarterly Get Growing Your Network event
Some of the projects PNE Enterprise is now, or has previously, delivered:
- Sustainable Start-up Award: Bespoke grant funding programme for North East businesses tackling sustainability
- Get Growing: Enables the entrepreneurial development of young owners with high-growth potential businesses
- The New Enterprise Allowance: Helps unemployed people become self-employed through training mentoring
- Start Up Loans: A government-backed personal loan scheme for individuals looking to start or grow a business
- ERDF Enterprise Support: An enterprise support programme for beneficiaries seeking to start-up a business
- Boost Your Business: A £1m business skills training programme upskilling the North East of England workforce
- REECE Foundation Programme: Enterprise programme providing support to individuals facing disadvantage
- Sustainable Enterprise: Promoting sustainable business practices among established businesses
- The Business Hub: Entrepreneurial aspiration and skills building for those aged 50+ or who live with a disability
- Enterprise Challenge: Enterprise skills training workshop for Sunderland University students
- Engage and Excel: Self-employment and employability programme supporting 48 BME and migrant women.
For more information on PNE Enterprise’s business support services, visit the PNE Enterprise website.
PNE Enterprise case studies:
Isabella West, Hirestreet
“The Sustainable Start-up Award has helped me fund the business myself, keeping it 100% privately owned. This gives me the freedom to continue to build Hirestreet in line with my vision, without having to worry about external investor demands, or aggressively driving revenues to pay off loans. The impact will therefore continue to be felt as we grow organically over the coming months.”
Hirestreet enables customers to rent and return high-street fashion for a fraction of the retail price. Founded by 25-year-old Isabella West, the business aims to tackle the textile waste problem by providing affordable clothing available to rent for 10 days. A recipient of PNE Enterprise’s Sustainable Start-up Award, Isabella hopes Hirestreet will support women across the UK to reduce their fashion footprint.
Guy Tindale, Wordwatching
“The 2 Day Intensive Business Course provided a great deal of knowledge and motivation. It broke the tasks ahead down into manageable steps and helped me understand them in terms of my business.”
An experienced proofreader, Guy Tindale launched his business, WordWatching Editorial Services, in June 2017, after receiving support from PNE Enterprise. Now working with publishers as far afield as the Netherlands and Germany.
For more PNE Enterprise case studies, view our case study booklet.