Department for Work and Pensions: New Enterprise Allowance
PNE Group provides services to support the Department for Work and Pension’s New Enterprise Allowance (NEA) scheme, which helps those experiencing unemployment or low-income to become self-employed, delivering an enterprise support programme for beneficiaries.
“The 2 Day Intensive Business Course I attended as part of the New Enterprise Allowance gave me a lot of incredibly valuable information,” commented Jill, “It made me think about things that would not have occurred to me on my own. It was also helpful to meet people who are at the same stage of starting a business as I was. I’ve also kept in touch with some of the entrepreneurs on the course. It’s great to have someone to meet up with and bounce business ideas off!”
Jill Chapman, This Is Me Graphics
About the New Enterprise Allowance
The NEA is a support scheme aimed at aspiring entrepreneurs, aged 18 and over. A government scheme, it provides financial support and practical advice to individuals who wish to set up their own business; providing business mentorship and practical skills training for up to 52 weeks, as well as opportunities to access finance.
In 2017, PNE Enterprise supported 255 people through the NEA scheme, contributing to a total of 908 between 2015 and 2017; including 176 business starts.
Guy Tindale, Wordwatching
“The 2 Day Intensive Business Course provided a great deal of knowledge and motivation. It broke the tasks ahead down into manageable steps and helped me understand them in terms of my business.”
An experienced proofreader, Guy Tindale launched his business, WordWatching Editorial Services, in June 2017, after receiving support from PNE Enterprise. Now working with publishers as far afield as the Netherlands and Germany.
What we do
As a match-funding delivery partners for the scheme in the Tyne and Wear, the PNE Enterprise team provide:
- Recruitment of participants, in addition to those referred via government services
- Assessment of potential participants
- The bi-monthly delivery of a bespoke workshop, tailored to the unique challenges of the beneficiary group
- Skills training, including in business finance, marketing and sustainable business practices
- Business support and mentoring services
- Support the development of business plans, including access to finance applications
- Post participation monitoring of up to 18 months