RBS Group: Inspiring Enterprise
From 2012 to 2014, PNE Group were appointed by RBS Group as grant administrators for their Inspiring Enterprise programme.
“We are extremely proud of the fact that Inspiring Enterprise has exceeded all three commitments which we made in 2012. We are dedicated to supporting enterprise and it has been fantastic to see Inspiring Enterprise contribute to the success of so many young, female and social entrepreneurs. It is important for us to recognise the efforts of all the great enterprise organisations we have worked with over the past three years: their dedication to making the UK a great place to start your own business is outstanding. They can be very proud of their contributions in helping so many people explore enterprise, especially those 2,173 who made that leap to start their own business.”
Thom Kenrick, Head of RBS Community Programmes
About Inspiring Enterprise
With a specific focus on supporting social enterprises and youth and women’s organisations, the objective of the Inspiring Enterprise programme was to advance entrepreneurial culture in the UK.
The Inspiring Enterprise programme exceeded all initial objectives. By the end of the programme in 2014, over £3m of investment was allocated to UK charities and not-for-profits. In addition, the programme supported:
- 5,349 social enterprises, exceeding the target by 214%
- 33,500 women to explore their entrepreneurial potential, exceeding the target by 142%
- 114,059 young people to develop skills or start-up a business, exceeding the target by 114%
Final reporting revealed the fund had reached 56,625 people in three years, supported the start of 2,173 businesses, and created 1,682 jobs.
What we did
As grant administrators for the programme, we supported RBS Group with their vision to support enterprise, with a particular focus on women’s organisations, social enterprises and youth-focused organisations. We designed and delivered the programme, to meet the bank’s specific objectives. Specifically, we:
- Designed and delivered an innovative digital assessment platform: We created a web-based system to provide information, promotion, facilitate online applications, a public vote and results reporting.
- Created an internal shortlisting process: Our highly-experienced assessors reviewed all applications against criteria and provided feedback for improvement.
- Provided support to and engaged judge finalists: We were responsible for the recruitment and co-ordination of the judging panel and for engaging judge finalists and providing impartial, public figures.
- Integrated a public vote option into final grant allocations
- Provided continuous monitoring of successful applicants: We continued to monitor successful applications until the completion of their projects to ensure each project’s objectives were realised. We offered a support package to applicants which included signposting to additional opportunities.
- Performed due diligence checks: We performed rigorous due diligence checks on all applications to identify financial and reputational risks.
We provided four funding cycles a year, offering grants of up to £50,000 to organisations that would most effectively contribute to Inspiring Enterprise’s ambitions of positively influencing entrepreneurial culture on a national scale.